Monday, May 11, 2015

Last days of the Whirlwind.

Sundance RV Resort
Casa Grande, Arizona

It's been a great time but all things have to come to an end.
Since we were having such a great time RVing with Shay and Doug, we decided to add another day.  

Doug, our professional driver, drove the fiver down to Camp Verde.  We knew we only had time for overnight so as soon as we got set up, which Doug and Shay did, we took off in the truck.
First stop was to Sedona.  No matter how upset you get with all the new homes and residents, you are still impressed with the beauty.  

Doug hadn't visited a fort since he came west so Bill showed him around Fort Verde State Historic Park in Camp Verde.
It was very nice to have a docent who was knowledgeable and enthusiastic.  She gave everyone a detailed story of how the fort was established.  
Shay never liked history as a child.  She always said she wasn't interested in "brown signs along the highway".  All she wanted to do for vacation was to lie on a beach.  How times have changed.  
Doug on the other hand just can't get enough of history.
By the time we returned to Distant Drums, it was almost time to leave for dinner.  We didn't have reservations, but thought they might enjoy the Blazin M Dinner Show.  When we arrived I saw four buses and was concerned about getting tickets.  It was our lucky day as we managed to get tickets, even if it was in the center last row.  
We took the tour around the ranch which was pulled by a tractor.  
Shay and I found the saloon and had their special--prickly pear margaritas.  I must say I've never had a pink margarita but it was very good.  I know you see two drinks in my hands, but really, one was for Bill. 
They loved the show.  Even though we've seen it before, it was still enjoyable.  Dinner was delicious and consisted of ribs, chicken, baked potato, beans, biscuits, prickly pear cole slaw and dessert.  This turned out to be one of the highlights of the week. 

We got on the road early the next day as Bill had physical therapy at 2:30 and high winds were predicted.
Doug drove back to Casa Grande and we teased him the whole way.  I promised him he'd see elk in Grand Canyon and he didn't see any.  We kept telling him the whole way back every time we saw an animal that it was an elk.  

We dropped Bill off at the physical therapist and went downtown to Old Town Casa Grande.  Shay found some treasures in the Trading Post.

The next morning we drove up to the Mesa Swap Meet as Shay needed a few items to take home.  By the time we got out of there, it was past lunch time so we stopped at the Number One Eastern Buffet.  

They really enjoyed the meal and we felt like we needed to walk it off so took them to Goldfield.  We thought we had an hour to tour the Superstition Mountain Museum after Goldfield, but it closed at 4 pm instead of 5 pm.  My battery died so I didn't get any photos at Goldfield.

Doug told us that he watches a show called Legends of the Superstition Mountains.  We are anxious to see the show.  
Shay and Doug bought this beautiful Navajo signed vase for us.  I've always loved the horse hair ones and this one had a lot of detail and great colors.  I think I need to buy a new stand for it though, don't you?

It left enough time when we returned for them to pack their suitcases, and the new one they bought at the flea market, for their early morning flight back to Pittsburgh.

We covered a lot of ground and I think Bill said around 1,000 miles.  They adapted to the RV very easily and could hitch and unhitch by themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an RV in their future.  

Yesterday morning we drove them to the airport.  It was a very quiet ride back.  We both decided we were going to sit in the recliner the rest of the day.  

Turtle Safely........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting today and please feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your comments.