Saturday, August 8, 2015

1953 and 1954

Creekside Estates
Weirton, West Virginia

It must be the time of the year, because the days seem to get shorter and shorter.  We had a beautiful drive from Virginia up the West Virginia turnpike.  I was surprised that the auto rate for the turnpike was $2.00 but the fifth wheel only added 50 cents.  The weather was gorgeous and we didn't even need the air conditioning.  

I bought this T-shirt at the rest area on the turnpike. I thought it was appropriate for a Montana Mountaineer owner.  I must say it was a very nice gift shop with everything made in America and most of it from West Virginia craftsmen.

Normally, we would have made a stop to visit a capital but we weren't in our exploring mode.  We needed to be in West Virginia by Friday and we've seen this one before.

Our plan was to stay in Marietta, Ohio at the fairground.  Once we got to the turnoff, it was about a 45 degree angle and a no left turn sign.  We continued up the road looking for a place to turn around.  

The next thing I knew we were headed to Cambridge.  It turned out to be about 250 miles which is over our "two, two, two rule."  The rule is, no more than 200 miles, stay two days and arrive by 2 pm.  We stayed at Springhill RV and lucky for us this time, didn't have a site near the interstate noise.  

It was only 70 miles to our next day's destination, Weirton, West Virginia.  I forgot how narrow, curvy and steep the roads are.  We are staying at a defunct mobile home park.  The rates are $400 per month with 50 amp service.   

The "owner" is only available by phone and there is a box to leave your payment.
There aren't any regular sites, you just park where you can reach the electric and sewer.  The only problem is the box has your typical 50/30/20 hook up which is shared with another coach.  All the other fifth wheels are "frackers" from Mississippi.  I must say they are never around until after dark and then they get together at one person's barbecue for food and drinks.  They work some long hours.

Bill's best friend, Ron Smith, who he's known since grade school, arrived shortly after we were set up.  He drove up from Florida to meet us here.  It was great seeing him.  He lost his wife, Gay, in May and it was important to see him.  Actually, it's the only reason we changed our mind and came back for the reunion.  He's working hard to get past this devastating event and I'm sure it isn't easy.  

Last night was Bill's class mixer.  There are so few people 
left that they combined the class of 53 and 54.   

Here's Bill with the twins, Mary Anne and Marian.  

The food was plentiful and very good.

Here's Ron Smith, Norma Thomaselli Henson and Bill.
Here's Marian, Shirley Wood and Mary Ann.  They're so happy because they went to the bar and one of the "frackers" bought five women from the groups drinks.  They said he wasn't even born in 1954.
The "frackers" live at the Holiday Inn.  The parking lot is full of oil tankers everywhere.  
It was great fun and tonight is the "All Class Reunion" for Follansbee High School.  More fun to come......

Turtle Safely.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting today and please feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your comments.