Saturday, July 16, 2016

Bill Took The Truck For a Boat Ride on Lake Champlain

Addison, Vermont
10 Acres Campground and RV Park

Years ago when we bought our old Cardinal fifth wheel, not knowing a thing about RVing, we left Arizona and traveled to New England to get some lobster.  One of the highlights of that trip, was a visit to Fort Ticonderoga.  We were towing the fifth wheel that day and were limited on time. We both wanted to revisit it and today seemed like a good day.   

Since the Fort is across Lake Champlain, I suggested we head south and take the ferry and then return across Crown Point and the bridge.  Anyone that has read this blog for awhile knows how much Bill loves his truck. He wasn't keen on the idea of the ferry taking the truck across the lake, but he was a good sport about it. 

The ferry ride was fun and only lasted about seven minutes.  
It's amazing how quickly it crossed.

It's one huge lake.

The sign said that the ferry has been operating since 1759.  I hope they changed the cables in that time. 

Less than a block away was the entrance to Fort Ticonderoga.  This is not a national or state park, but a non-profit educational organization.  The parking lot was packed and it is only 10 am.  

One thing about returning is that they change the historic interpretation yearly.  This year's interpretation is of the British capture of the Fort in 1777.  I know of no other historic place that changes like that.

Besides wearing period clothing that is hand made at the fort, they live the entire role.  One barefooted girl was carrying heavy jugs.

We were told that the leggings they wear were made from last year's tents.

The mess cooks are cooking the noon meal and later you see all of the employees eating this food for their lunches.  

They gave a great demonstration of how the British were trained to shoot.  They fired off the muskets in different type of situations they might encounter.

Part of their employment is researching and learning the history of the time period they are portraying.  There wasn't a question that they couldn't answer.  

Every employee has handmade shoes from the cobbler shop.  The cobbler was saying that one of the docents really wears out his shoes quicker than most.  That person had to have them repaired twice already this year.  These are made just like they made them back in 1777.

Here's the tailor making a wool shirt.  He says he has job security as they change the uniforms every year.  I think he said the next ones will be French.  He said there's a lot time  spent researching to make sure they are authentic.  

It's amazing with all the beautiful views that someone hasn't wanted to destroy this area and put condominiums here.  

The Fife and Drum Corps played many pieces that were used to regulate daily activities.

They had some very unique pieces exhibited in the exhibition hall.  These powder horns were all about the time period 1750.  Ethan Allen's hand carved horn was also exhibited.  

There was one whole section of firearms and weapons.

Bill was amazed at the swords that were in the collection.

 This Dutch "Segelas" Pistol has four barrels and was ca. 1765-1780.

I don't remember viewing the third floor the last time we visited, but it had a display on the Fort Ticonderoga aircraft carrier.  

This was the Captain's chair from the USS Fort Ticonderoga. 

There also was a diorama-rama history in miniature exhibit.  Another exhibit was the Sickness, Injury and Medicine at the fort.  

Another building housed the Mars Education center.  I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but one of the docents had told us that M & M Candy had donated a large sum of money.  

You can see how large the buildings are from this photo.

Lake Champlain is so beautiful.  

There was so much to see, that once again we still didn't see it all.

I was having trouble with my foot today so we went back to the cafe to rest for awhile.  Unfortunately, it was packed and you had to stand and wait for a table.  I suggested we drive down to the King's Garden in the truck instead of walking.  Once we sat down in the truck, I said I didn't think I could take in anymore.  

We departed the fort and stopped in town for a bite to eat. While we were eating our meal a group of motorcyclist's came in.  One guy came up to Bill and said "hi".  He thought Bill was his brother in law. He couldn't believe how much he looked like him.  He told us he'd send a photo to us.

After our meal, we decided to go to Mount Defiance.  
Our admission to Fort Ticonderoga  also included a gold coin.  You had to drive a short distance to Mount Defiance and place your gold token in the machine and the gate would open for you.  We pulled up and I tried to get the gold token in the slot.  It wouldn't go.  The fellow behind us, said he'd try his coin.  The machine did have a message that said  it was out of order, but many cars came out the other gate.

I looked back and there were about 8 to 10 cars backed up behind us.  Everyone had to back up to get out of there.  

After we left the road that Mount Defiance was on, we drove on up along the lake to Crown Point.  We drove through the historic park but I said I was too tired to really enjoy it.

This historic park is only about a mile from the campground so hopefully, we'll get back to it before we leave the area.

We can see this bridge from New York to Vermont from the campground.  

Even though we've toured this fort in the past, it was a wonderful day and we were both happy that we decided to return to it.  

Turtle Safely.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting today and please feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your comments.