Tuesday, July 19, 2016

We weren't suppose to see anything today.

Addison, Vermont
10 Acres Campground and RV Park

I called Sherry this morning to suggest they enter this campground from the north when the arrive.  They were just outside of Montpelier when I called.  Next I called Polly to also let her know it is much better if they enter the park coming from the north.  She told me they were about 20 miles from Montpelier.  

I knew we had about an hour and a half before they arrived  so Bill and I drove up to the bridge to check out the historic sites by the bridge.  We've passed them going to and from other places but hadn't stopped to go into the museums.
I was excited when we pulled in as there was no one else in the parking lot.  Looks like we'll have the place to ourselves.  As we walked up to the door, we realized why no one was there.  They are closed on Monday and Tuesday.  

There were a couple of signs so we walked over to check them out.  

Strange that the signs were placed underneath the bridge.

There were remnants of forts on both sides of the lake.

We walked down to the water and there was a boat launching area.  It was very pretty down there. These were some steel beams from the old bridge.  

The Lake Champlain Bridge opened in 2011 after only 10 weeks to design the bridge and 17 months later the construction was complete.

We drove across the bridge which now put us in New York.

This is the information center.  It was originally the toll keepers house.  There is a small exhibit on the old toll bridge in the information center.  

I picked up a brochure about the Monitor but the lady told me they are only open on the weekends.  

We walked across the street to check out the fort ruins and visit their museum.

The first sidewalk we followed went down to the water  and took us to the site where the old ferry crossed. 

Fort St. Frederic was a fortress in it's day.
We walked over to the museum to find it closed too.

Fort  St. Frederic had a four story building inside the walls and moat.

I reluctantly followed Bill up the hill to see where the moat had been.

It was a sidewalk but it was very steep.

There's still hope, the Crown Point State Park has a lighthouse we want to see.  

We walked back across the street to the state park.  Can you believe the attendant was on lunch break?

It looks like an interesting lighthouse.  

Oh well, we didn't want to be gone long anyway did we?

We came back to the RV park and found a motorhome had pulled in.  We enjoyed talking with the couple and invited them to happy hour.  Sherry and Dave pulled in and before they were set up, Polly and Vern arrived.  

We all visited for awhile and then piled into the truck for a visit to Goodie's Ice Cream.   I was glad I ordered a small peppermint patty sundae.  It was huge but Bill's banana split took two hands to hold it.  We were having such a good time, I didn't think to take any photos.  

Everyone sat out for Happy Hour and told of the adventures and places we've been since we've seen each other.  Alan and Ellen, who have the motor home, joined us too.

It promises to be a good time.  

Turtle Safely.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting today and please feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your comments.